Poisonous food for dogs

There are many normal everyday items that are actually poisonous foods (or at the very least hazardous) to your puppy.

A few are fairly obvious, but many are common foods that you probably wouldn’t think twice about using unless you were aware of their danger.

Keep little Fifi safe by making sure she never eats (or drinks) any of the poisonous foods below.

Alcohol
Dogs should never drink alcohol, not even a sip of beer! Depending on the amount injested it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, coma and even death.

Avocados
These contain a toxin called Persin which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and intestinal problems.

Candy
Candies that contain large amounts of the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, seizures and possible liver failure.

Chocolate
Contains large amounts of Methylzantines, the darker the chocolate the higher the concentration of this dangerous toxin – even white chocolate can cause problems. Symptoms of poisoning include nervousness, extreme panting, seizures and possibly death.

• One candy bar can literally kill your dog so be careful.

Citrus Fruits
The peel, pith and seeds of citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit etc.) can cause irritation in your puppies digestive system if eaten in large quantities.

Grapes & Raisins
Your pooch can have a bad reaction to either of these and symptoms include fatigue, vomiting, diarrhea and possible renal (kidney) failure.

Iron & Vitamin tablets
Vitamins that include iron (including pre-natal vitamins) can cause gastro-intestinal irritation causing vomiting and diarrhea. The symptoms may seem to improve but within 12 to 24 hours your dog could relapse and show signs of shock, depression or seizures and suffer liver damage or kidney failure.

Macadamia Nuts
These can cause your dog to become temporarily paralyzed which is obviously very dangerous.

Onions & Garlic
These contain a toxin called Thiosulphate. Symptoms of poisoning are usually an upset digestive system followed by general fatigue and weakness.

Thiosulphate affects the red blood cells in your pup’s body and within a few days symptoms could progress to include bloody diarrhea, breathlessness and even death.

Onions are more dangerous than garlic as the toxin is more concetrated. It doesn’t take much to cause poisoning.

Yeast Dough – uncooked
If uncooked dough expands inside your pups tummy it can cause internal damage. Also as the dough rises it can form alcohol and result in alcohol poisoning.

Better to be safe than sorry

With a lot of the above poisonous foods and toxins it doesn’t take very much to make your dog seriously ill.

Also, in some cases symptoms gradually worsen over a period of hours or days and if you ‘wait and see’ it could be too late for your precious puppy by the time you seek help.

Always, always seek veterinary advice if you even just think your puppy or dog has injested dangerous or poisonous foods. Every minute counts in these situations.

buy facebook likes